Want to join the team? Good news, we are hiring Plumbers! Click here to view the positions available

Tenants Told Not to Use Heaters Due to Carbon Monoxide

Tenants Told Not to Use Heaters Due to Carbon Monoxide

Tenants Heating
Share this post
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

While we have been advising everyone to Service their Heaters and get a Carbon Monoxide Test done for a while now, residents of Victorian Public Housing homes have now been urged to not use their heaters heading concerns for their health and safety. Energy Safe Victoria has suspended the certification for a series of space heaters amid fears of carbon monoxide poisoning.

This followed an inquiry resulting from the death of Sonia Sofianopoulos in July 2017. Sofianopoulos was found dead with her heater still on in her residence in Greensborough. The Department of Health and Human Services has made contact with more than 6,500 tenants who currently have these heaters in their homes.

If you believe you own one of these Heaters, get more information by clicking here.

With cooler weather fast approaching there are fears for the health and well being of these tenants. While the Department of Health and Human Services are working on alternative heating sources for winter, others may not know what options they have. There is nothing better than walking in to a warm and cosy home. The warmth can often over shadow the fact that an improperly serviced heater can be dangerous to all in our home.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is found to be more dangerous for the young and elderly. However, the silent killer will attack all in its path.

“Even while a heater may be working fine, carbon monoxide could still be present in your home. Carbon Monoxide has no colour or scent and can easily lead to accidental deaths.”

ABC spoke with a public housing resident, Yasmin, who said:

“I’ve had my heater for 10 years and have become ill and not known why, as have many of my neighbours.”

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to that of the flu. This can make it even more difficult to identify. While the ultimate price is death, carbon monoxide poisoning can also leave a person with long term health issues such as heart disease and brain damage.

Here are some tips to keep you and your home safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

  • Get your Gas Heater Unit serviced by a trained professional every one to two years
  • Have a carbon monoxide exposure test undertaken in your home or office space
  • Ensure your appliances have adequate ventilation
  • Check and clean your chimney regularly
  • Do not use a portable gas camp burner inside
  • Never use a generator inside your home, garage or basement
  • Have your car exhaust system checked by your mechanic
  • Clear any blockages from the exhaust pipe of a wood heater

Energy Safe Victoria recently released the cold feet campaign. They have pushed the message that you should get your heater serviced every one to two years to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Share this post
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Want to know more?
Talk to the Heating & Cooling experts

Why people all over Melbourne choose Plum

Family Owned Business Since 1992

As a young plumber, Director Kyle Briggs founded Plum based on family values of honesty and trust.

Best Advice & Guidance

At Plum Trade Services, we pride ourselves on our award-winning accountability - with advice you can count on.

1,700+ 5-Star Google Reviews

It takes exceptional attention to detail and service to earn more than 1700 glowing customer reviews.

30 Years Local Business

From humble beginnings we have grown with our reputation for putting our customers first.

5x Wyndham Business Award Winners

Plum is a very proud, five-time winner of these prestigious awards - including Business of the Year.

Top Rated Customer Service

Our recognised high standard of professionalism and customer service is the envy of our peers.

Premium After-Sales Care

You enjoy life, while we take care of servicing, maintenance, and warranty repairs. No stress for you!

Fully Qualified, Honest & Reliable Tradesmen

We only hire trades who are respectful, trustworthy and reliable so you can be comfortable in your home.

No Contractors Used

All of our trades are full-time employees of Plum - and are accountable to us.

Easy to Deal With

Our happy, trustworthy staff pride themselves on setting the tone as soon as you make contact.

Very Responsive Communication

Our staff will never leave you hanging. They are highly responsive and engaging.

Warranty Agent for Brivis

As a warranty agent for Brivis, we can send out a technician to conduct repairs on their behalf.