After the wild seasonal ride, we’ve had these past couple of years, even deniers are starting to realise that climate change is real. With another brutal summer on the horizon, we thought we’d step in and lend a hand with our invaluable guide to creating a cool home haven.
After all, what’s the point of life if we can’t enjoy a calm, cool paradise to retreat to when those scorching days become just too much?
With a bit of careful planning – and a healthy respect for when to work with the environment rather than against it – you can create a blissfully cool home in which to escape those endless scorching days and nights, without breaking the bank on power bills.
And it all starts with ensuring your air conditioning system is running efficiently. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter how high you crank it, it’s never going to have the desired result.
9-point summer checklist to create your own cool home oasis
- Give your air con a clean and service. Just like your car, your air conditioning system needs regular TLC to ensure it runs efficiently and potential breakdowns are caught before they happen. Renters don’t always have a say on when this happens, so in cases such as this, your best bet is to clean it to the instructions contained in the manufacturer manual and make sure the filter gets a good scrub and if needed, is replaced.
- Direction is key. The direction your home faces will determine much of your summer behaviour and expenditure. If you have a north-facing home that is hit by the full sun in the afternoon, then blackout blinds are a must to take the impact. For those living in a south-facing home, you can make the most of cooling breezes by opening your windows.
- So is the location of your air-con. For those considering purchasing an air conditioning unit, our expert technicians are your best guide to positioning it for efficiency and discretion. However, it’s always best to locate them well away from the front door and windows, to ensure cool air circulates unhindered by blasts of hot air.
- Explore those Wi-Fi options. WiFi is your friend. It means you can leave the air con off while you are at work, before switching it on before you leave to return home for the day. Ahhhhh bliss!
- Trick your mind into feeling cool. You know all those heavy-duty, warm winter fabrics that cover our soft furnishings? Well, do you switch them out to lighter, crisp cotton in breezy, summer colours of light-blue or white for the summer months? You’ll be amazed how much cooler you feel if you do.
- Zoning is your friend. If you have ducted air, zoning will allow you to only circulate refrigerated air to your nominated zones, eliminating wastage. Or, in the case of a wall-mounted split system, they are vastly efficient and cheap ways to cool a small area or bedroom.
- Go green. If possible, go crazy planting shrubs, broad-leafed plants, and trees for shade. Nothing traps heat like concrete, so you want to greenify your spaces
- Fix your internal temperature. To save on your power bills, pay attention to your temperature settings. This can be a bone of contention in the home, but it pays to remind those you live with that every 1°c change to a thermostat setting can add 10% to your energy bill.
- Aim for the stars. If your air conditioner is getting on in years, it could be costing you a small fortune in running costs. Newer systems are much more energy efficient – some by as much as 40% more efficient than those manufactured 12-18 years ago. And remember, the higher the star rating, the more energy efficient the unit is. Try to aim for at least five stars out of six.
What are you waiting for? Call Plum Trade Services today!
Before committing to investing your hard-earned dollars in a new air conditioning system, Plum Trade Services is here to ensure you understand the pros and cons of each type of system, and exactly what they will bring to your unique lifestyle and home.
When you book a consultation with us, we will take the time to explore both options and guide you to the best solution for you and your family. The best part is, we have a rock-solid reputation for being a company you can trust, with our staff known for acting with integrity and honesty.
So what are you waiting for? Please call Plum’s friendly, experienced team today on (03) 8360 9622 in Melbourne, or (03) 5292 2219 in Geelong. Or you can contact us via this link https://www.plumheatcool.com.au/contact-us/