Carbon Monoxide Testing
Installing both a heating and cooling system is definitely a necessity in Melbourne and while we are rated as one of the most livable cities in the world, we do need to put up with having 4 seasons in one day. And of course, having a prime heating and cooling unit installed in your home will grant you the ultimate climate solution needed after a hard day’s work. That’s where we come in! At Plum Heating & Cooling, our team can recommend the ideal Heater or Cooler required for your home and install them as quickly as possible. Not only that, but we help with the service & maintenance of these units over its lifecycle.
While having a Gas Heater and other gas appliances are great, there is always that challenge of units emitting poisonous gases… namely Carbon Monoxide, which has been labelled as the ‘Silent Killer’
What is Carbon monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, tasteless and colourless gas which is produced whenever fuel burns such as Natural Gas, Propane and Gasoline. It’s less dense when compared to the air and because our senses cannot detect this, it can be present within our homes... without us even knowing. Once Carbon Monoxide enters the human body, one may experience symptoms such as Headaches, Fatigue, Shortness of Breath, Nausea, Dizziness. Although this can easily be mistaken for the flu (as it has similar symptoms), this is actually ‘Carbon Monoxide Poisoning’… and you really need to avoid this. A quick Google Search online will show you the many families, children and even infants have been affected by this. Admittingly, it does have a variety of applications in the industrial world, but it is very important to stay well away from it.
Carbon Monoxide in Heaters
Just like all other Gas Appliances (such as an oven), gas heating is a cost effective and convenient way to heat your home. When properly installed, use as instructed and regularly serviced with a Carbon Monoxide test by a qualified Gasfitter, the heater in your home should be safe. This is where we come in. A regular maintenance Service by Plum Heating and Cooling is conducted by qualified technicians who checks the operation of your heater for any signs of fault and performs a Carbon Monoxide Test on the Unit. Our 10-Point Service also includes checking the flue to make sure all gases are discharged correctly as well as cleaning any dust build up in the fan motor assembly.
Energy Safe Victoria and the Victorian Building Authority Recommends having your gas heater serviced and tested for Carbon Monoxide at the very least once every 2 years.
Launching their ‘Cold Feet’ Campaign, Victorian Building Authority and Energy Safe Victoria are really pushing for all heaters to be Serviced and tested for any Carbon Monoxide emissions on a regular basis. Regular servicing is the only way to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty gas appliances. A recent release by ESV has advised all owners of the old Vulcan and Pyrox heaters to left off until tested by a qualified gasfitter. A few landlords have also had to deal with Carbon Monoxide poisoning with their tenants. Recent cases revealed that the un-serviced heaters in their rental properties have caused a few casualties. The Chase & Tyler Foundation has been set up with Raise Awareness as well.
At Plum, we stress the importance of booking your unit in for a maintenance service at the very least once every 2 years, whether you are a home owner, a landlord or a tenant. All our technicians are equipped with a state of the art, German-engineered Testo Carbon Monoxide Testing device, so once your heater service has been completed, our technician will issue a printed receipt type analysis showing the carbon monoxide levels in your home.